Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Chapter 29


            That night, Emily and Mubarak told the others that she would be leaving with the jinn. Devereaux’s jaw dropped. He stuttered in disbelief: “Y-y-you can’t, Emily! You just can’t!” The team stared at her with wide eyes, their minds trying to imagine what lay ahead for her.
            “I am convinced this is my destiny,” she said softly. “I love Mubarak. I care deeply about him and his people, and I want to learn more about them. I can’t do that here. I’ll be safe. It’ll be the adventure of a lifetime.”
            “We will protect Emily, I promise,” Mubarak said.
            Devereaux paced back and forth, trying to think of some way to change her mind.
            “The President will want to speak with you,” he said. “You have to come back to Washington!”
            “I’ll send him a postcard,” Emily said with a shy grin.
            “You take care of yourself, girl,” said Vanessa Willis, her arm around Dan Keller’s waist. “It sounds pretty scary to me, but after all we’ve been through, it’ll probably turn out to be a cakewalk.”
            “Thanks, Vanessa,” Emily replied. She paused, and looked around at the team. “I’ll miss you all. I really will.”
            “I almost envy you, heading out into space, exploring the universe,” said Lasser. “Almost.” He looked around him at the City of Iram. “I guess I’ll stick to what I know – or think I know – the Great Underground.”
            A few of them laughed. Bakhashaf poked him in the shoulder.
            Emily said to the team: “If I can send you a message, I will. I promise I’ll try. I will never forget you.”
            They gathered close around her, exchanging embraces and what they knew would be farewells.
           

            When dawn came, the jinn exodus began. It started slowly. One after another, the jinn citizens of Iram stepped out of their homes, took flight and headed up toward the pearl dome. Before they reached it, they vanished, entering a rift in spacetime. The opening carried them into a wormhole, and the wormhole led to their new world. Soon dozens were flying upward, then hundreds, eventually thousands. At various secret places around the world, the same process was underway, though not on so great a scale as at Iram. The jinn of Earth were leaving.
            The expedition members were invited to witness the departure of the jinn leadership. A farewell ceremony was arranged in the central plaza. A large glowing, rose-colored sphere sat in the square, awaiting the leaders. There appeared to be no doorway or portal into the sphere.
            The jinn leaders approached from a nearby building. Frank Devereaux, as expedition leader, greeted the officials. Emily Goddard, co-leader, stood back, close to Mubarak Awda. She wore blue expedition coveralls, but Awda had exchanged his for a gleaming white Saudi thobe. He also wore a red-and-white-checked shemagh, wrapped and tied like a casual turban. Emily and Mubarak looked frequently at each other, speaking with their eyes. Dan Keller stood with the Marines, beside Pvt. Willis.  The back of his left hand gently touched the back of her right; otherwise, they gave no sign they even knew each other. Lasser, Bakhashaf and Semple whispered together, and the psychiatrist kept looking over at Mubarak Awda.
            Earlier, Dr. Semple had taken Awda aside, and asked him the question.
            “Please tell me,” he said. “Why did your people create the UFO deception? Why did you torment us for so many years, with saucer sightings, close encounters, abductions and the like?”
            “Your wife…”
            “Yes.”
            “I’m so sorry, Dr. Semple.  I truly am. Sometimes, these strategic decisions can cause pain and suffering. I realize that. That was not our intention. What my people did was an act of self-preservation – nothing more. Do you know of Christopher Sarantakos?”
            “No, I’m afraid I – “
            “Perhaps you know him by his stage name, Criss Angel. He’s an American illusionist, who performs on television, in Las Vegas and similar venues. He’s known for his amazing magic stunts. Most of these illusions are achieved through misdirection. The audience looks in one direction, the illusionist acts in another. This what the jinn have done. We turned your eyes to outer space, while we lived around you – and indeed beneath you.”
            Mubarak placed a hand on the doctor’s shoulder. “Again, I’m truly sorry your wife suffered at our hands.”
            Semple could think of nothing to say. He looked Mubarak in the eye and nodded slowly.


            Miriam addressed the humans. Her rich, almost musical voice carried far throughout the plaza and above, and some of the departing jinn paused to listen to her.
            “We thank you for witnessing our departure. I must say, this is a sad moment for all of us. We shall miss the dear Earth and its inhabitants. But we have a destiny to fulfill, and the time has come.”
            She paused, and Devereaux spoke up.           
            “When you are gone, what do we do next? How do we make use of your technology, your City?”
            “That’s up to you, Mr. Devereaux. I’m sure your government will have some ideas.” She smiled. “Also, when we depart, I think you’ll find your satellite phone works much better.”
            His hand went automatically to the small black phone holstered on his belt.
            “But meanwhile, we have something for you that may make your task of comprehending all this…” She waved her hand. “… somewhat easier.”
            She beckoned to one of her assistants, who brought her a book. It was a small, thick tome in a glistening green cover. Miriam handed the book to Devereaux. He paged through it.
            “It’s in English,” he said, surprised.
            “We thought you’d like that,” she said. “It’s an instruction manual of sorts. Call it our scriptures.”
            Devereaux looked up, his eyes wide. “This is – this is so … thank you,” he said.

            “Don’t mention it,” she replied.
(Next)

No comments:

Post a Comment